Thomas Markle hits out at Duchess of Sussex claims, saying Meghan threw people 'under the bus' – Daily Mail

Daily news

By Caroline Graham In Los Angeles For The Mail On Sunday
|

3.7k
View
comments

The Duchess of Sussex‘s father has hit out at claims that she said she had ‘lost’ him – and accused her of throwing people ‘under the bus’.
Thomas Markle‘s comments came after his 41-year-old daughter appeared to say that Prince Harry had spoken of a breakdown in relations with Prince Charles following his decision to move to the US.
Hours after her remarks were published in The Cut magazine, however, Meghan’s unofficial spokesman Omid Scobie wrote on social media: ‘I understand that Prince Harry is actually referring to Meghan’s loss of her own father, and Meghan is saying she doesn’t want Harry to lose his.’
Last night Mr Markle, who suffered a blood clot on his brain earlier this year, said: ‘I am still very ill and trying to recover from the stroke in May. Yet every time she opens her mouth she brings me into [the story].
‘It never ends.’
The Duchess of Sussex’s father Thomas Markle (pictured together at her first wedding in 2011) has hit out at claims that she said she had ‘lost’ him – and accused her of throwing people ‘under the bus’
Speaking falteringly to The Mail on Sunday from his home in Rosarito, Mexico, the 78-year-old said: ‘She didn’t ‘lose’ me, she dumped me.
‘I am not lost. She knows where to find me. My number hasn’t changed.
‘I would love to hear from my daughter and meet my son-in-law and my grandkids for the first time.’
The former Hollywood lighting director is suing British photographer Jeff Rayner for breach of contract over staged pictures taken before Meghan and Harry’s 2018 wedding. He claims the photographs caused him ‘worldwide embarrassment’ and wrecked his relationship with his daughter.
Mr Markle, who suffered from a blood clot on his brain earlier this year, said he did not hear from Meghan or Harry (pictured in Johannesburg on their tour of Africa in 2019) while being treated in California
Mr Markle alleges the stress caused him to suffer two heart attacks on the eve of the wedding and doctors refused to allow him to fly.
He has not spoken to Meghan or Prince Harry since.
In last week’s interview, Meghan was asked if she thinks there is room for forgiveness between her and her royal in-laws and her own family.
She replied: ‘I think forgiveness is really important.
‘It takes a lot more energy to not forgive. But it takes a lot of effort to forgive.’
Mr Markle told the MoS: ‘If she really believes in forgiveness, then why can’t she forgive me?
Thomas Markle’s comments came after his 41-year-old daughter appeared to say that Prince Harry had spoken of a breakdown in relations with Prince Charles (pictured with Harry in 2019) following his decision to move to the US
‘I have apologised to her multiple times for any hurt and pain I might have caused her.
‘I love my daughter. She talks about forgiveness, so why not start with her own family? What about forgiving me?
‘Every time she gives another interview it brings up all the pain and causes so much stress.
‘I am still very sick. I am going to speech therapy and doing the best I can to get better, but it is all very upsetting.’
Mr Markle also spoke of his compassion for the Queen, saying: ‘She is a 96-year-old lady who has given her life to her people and she doesn’t deserve this when she is also in poor health.
Speaking falteringly to The Mail on Sunday from his home in Rosarito, Mexico, the 78-year-old said: ‘She didn’t ‘lose’ me, she dumped me’. Picture: file image of Mr Markle
‘I do feel sorry for her and wish her all the best and hope she feels better soon.
‘It can’t be easy for her to read all these things my daughter is saying.
‘Meghan constantly throws the Royal family under the bus. The Meghan I knew was sweet, kind and compassionate. I don’t know where that girl went. I have to hope that she is still in there somewhere and that she will make peace with our family, and Harry’s, before it is too late.’
Mr Markle is being cared for by his son Tom Jnr, 55, who moved from Oregon to be close to his father. While the blood clot caused temporary paralysis and long-term speech issues, he can now speak in short sentences – although he often struggles to find words.
He says he did not hear from Meghan or Harry while being treated in California, but watched the Duchess visit a memorial for victims of the Uvalde school shooting in Texas from his hospital bed last May.
Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd
Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group

source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.